But the seemingly insuperable difficulties which are now in the way may be overcome in the end, and then iron will be done away with, and all electric machinery will be manufactured of aluminum, in all probability, at prices ridiculously low."
–Nikola Tesla, On the Problem of Increasing Human Energy, 1900
Nikola Tesla’s words describe the benefits of C-Motive’s approach versus Tesla’s own electromagnetic induction motor design, which is the industrial workhorse of the modern age.
C-Motive’s machines run on the principles of “Capacitive Power Conversion,” which engineers historically viewed as inferior to the “inductive” method Tesla pioneered.
C-Motive’s transformative technology is changing that perspective with the C-Machine™ and the Capacitive Power Coupler™, shown below.
C-Machine™ Electrostatic Motor
C-Machine technology enables an entirely new class of lightweight, torque-dense, direct-drive machines for:
- Position-and-hold applications
- Industrial or humanoid robotic servos
- Aerospace actuators or propulsion
- Prosthetic and exoskeleton movement
- Automotive actuators or propulsion
- Geometrically constrained applications
C-Machines may be fabricated into unique shapes, sizes, and form factors with which electromagnetics cannot comply. The reason is simple: electrostatics eliminate "back iron" because there is no magnetic circuit.
The C-Machine represents a fundamental shift in how torque is produced, providing the following unique advantages:
- Near-lossless torque production
- Develops high shaft torque without a gearbox
- Lightweight, non-magnetic materials
- Eliminates rare earth materials
- Achieves smooth rotation and minimal noise
Interested in learning more? We would love to talk. Please contact us to find out how the C-Machine can solve your unique challenges.
Capacitive Power Coupler™
A non-contact, robust power or signal coupler to replace carbon brushes, slip rings, and brushless excitation systems.
- Accommodates shaft speeds from zero to 100,000 rpm
- Power capability exceeding 1 kW
- Low maintenance and non-contact
- Provides analog and/or digital sensor data from spinning shaft
- Operates without copper windings or rare-earth materials
- Occupies half the volume and 1/10th the weight of standard brushless exciters
- Constructed from simple, inexpensive plates or sleeves
- Provides direct control of field windings when coupled to wound field synchronous machines (WFSMs).
The CPC provides an innovative, simple alternative method for sending power and data between stationary and moving components, yielding unique benefits. Through partnerships between C-Motive, UW-Madison, WARF and the US Department of Energy, the CPC improves traction drive system performance by allowing a WFSM running at unity power factor to replace a conventional IPM traction motor.
Please contact us to find out how to improve your system design with the CPC.
The video below explains in detail how one version of the CPC functions.
Follow the links below to learn more about the Capacitive Power Coupler.